01 Oct Choosing the Right Shredding Company
How To Choose The Right New York Shredding Company
Ten Revealing Questions You Should Ask Before Hiring A Shredding Company
- What type of shredding services do you offer? There are two types of shredding services. On-site shredding means all confidential materials are shredded on-site, at your location. Off-site shredding means that all material is brought back to the company’s facility for shredding. If your organization requires that you witness the shredding process, then you should choose on-site shredding. If you’re looking for a more cost-effective option, then off-site shredding is your best choice.American Security Shredding offers highly secure, on-site and off-site shredding services.
- Are you AAA Certified by NAID?The National Association for Information Destruction (NAID) is the watchdog of the shredding industry. They act as an independent auditor, checking a shredding company’s compliance in 26 critical areas, including everything from shred size to employee background checks. NAID awards their highest rating, “AAA Certified“, to only a select few shredding companies that offer the highest level of information security. In fact, of the 49 shredding companies operating in the state of New York, only 15 have been AAA Certified by NAID. But buyer beware! Many unscrupulous shredding companies will claim to be AAA NAID Certified just to get your business. Check their website for the NAID AAA Certified logo as proof of their standing.American Security Shredding is AAA NAID Certified.
- Do you offer proof that you actually perform employee background checks?All shredding companies will say they perform employee background checks. But why take their word for it? Ask for proof that an independent auditor has reviewed both the background checks and drug tests of all shredding company employees that will come in contact with your confidential information.American Security Shredding submits to ongoing audits of their employee background checks and drug tests, by the National Association for Information Destruction. We also provide written documentation of these checks and tests, to each potential customer.
- Will you offer free information security training for my staff?It’s not enough for a shredding company to just shred documents. It’s equally important that they train your staff to protect your confidential information.American Security Shredding first audits how your organization handles confidential data and then we provide information security training for your entire staff; all at no extra charge.
- Do you offer “On-Call Shredding”?On-call shredding means that you just call whenever you need service. There are no regularly scheduled pickups and no monthly fees. That’s why most shredding companies refuse to offer this service. But if you’re not sure you’ll generate enough paper for a monthly pickup, why choose a shredding company that does not offer an on-call service option?American Security Shredding offers both on-call shredding service and regularly scheduled service.
- Can you shred three ring binders, CDs and hard drives or do you just shred paper?Many shredding companies use outdated equipment that can’t shred anything but paper. That means someone may have to sift through your containers and remove paper from the binders. There is a much easier and more secure way. Some shredding companies have invested in high tech shredding equipment that can shred almost anything.American Security Shredding uses high tech equipment that can shred almost anything including paper, three-ring binders, CDs, hard drives and even whole computers!
- What kind of insurance protection do you provide?Shredding companies provide general liability insurance to protect their customers in the unlikely event that confidential documents fall into the wrong hands. However, most limit this protection to $3,000,000. Make sure your shredding company provides at least $5,000,000 in general liability insurance.American Security Shredding exceeds industry standards with general liability insurance coverage of $5,000,000.
- Are there any hidden charges?
- Some shredding companies will quote you a low, low price and then slam you with hidden fees like fuel surcharges, security fees and pick up fees. Other shredding companies charge by the minute to shred your documents. So you’re actually paying them to go slow. Get an exact quote in writing and always ask if there are any additional charges.American Security Shredding provides our services for a low fee, with no hidden charges.
- Do you give your regular service customers discounts on purges?Customers who receive on-going service from their shredding company, should get a better price on annual file purges than a one-time customer. Before choosing a shredding company, ask what kind of “purge discount” they give their regular customers. American Security Shredding gives a 10% purge discount to all their regular customers